Childhood Education Master’s, Grades 1–6
The M.S.T. childhood education program is a 42 credit hour graduate program leading to initial New York State certification for grades 1–6. Applicants may have to complete additional undergraduate courses in their content area and a year of college-level foreign or sign language prior to matriculation.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to meet the educational needs of children in a dynamic world. This includes the interrelationship between academic content, pedagogical application, continued learning, and the moral and political considerations of working with children.
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Professional certification: You will be eligible for initial certification immediately upon graduation. After three years of teaching, you will be eligible for professional certification.
- Advising: Benefit from personal advisement with a graduate adviser.
- Career mobility: Switch careers without completing another undergraduate degree.
- Student teaching options: Participate in field experience in various geographic areas extending from the Canadian border to Malone, NY and south to the Glens Falls, Albany, and New York City regions.
- Earn your degree close to home: Attend classes at the main campus in Plattsburgh or the SUNY Plattsburgh branch campus at Queensbury. Accreditation: Graduate from an accredited teacher education program.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Professional opportunities for childhood education majors are growing. The graying of educators combined with an increasing number of children and a decrease in class size has created a shortage of teachers in most of the United States.
- Public schools of New York State
- Private schools across the United States
- States that have New York certification reciprocity.