Winter in Plattsburgh
Cold Hard Facts
- The coldest month: January
- Average yearly snowfall: 63 inches
- Average January high: 27 degrees
- Average January low: 10 degrees
- Record low: -31 degrees in 1994
"Winter in the Plattsburgh region with its snowy landscapes and stunning scenery is the perfect time to explore all the area has to offer."
Things to Do on Campus
In addition to the many outdoor adventures you can have, we also offer many on-campus activities.
- Weekend Free Skate
- Indoor Wall Climbing at the Fitness Center
- Rec Sports
- Plattsburgh State Art Museum
Favorite Student Activities
- Whiteface Mountain: Grab discounted lift tickets to the greatest vertical of any lift-serviced mountain in the Northeast! And, if you're a beginner, Whiteface offers a five-star ski and snowboard school and a rental service.
- High Falls Gorge: Cold winter temperatures make the Gorge even more beautiful with ice formations among the granite cliffs. Take a self-guided tour, rent snowshoes or roast marshmallows by the campfire!
- Ronald B. Stafford Ice Arena: Our own Field House offers a 1,934-seat ice rink and is home to both our men's and women's ice hockey programs. Check out a home game or attend one of our free skating nights!
- Lake Champlain: It may be winter, but that doesn't mean you can't take advantage of our beautiful lake! Go ice fishing, ice skating, skiing or even ice windsurfing!
- Weekend Trips: The SUNY Plattsburgh Student Association (SA) sponsors weekend bus trips to Montreal and Burlington each semester at a low cost to students.