New Student Orientation
Your Journey Begins Here
Congratulations on your decision to attend SUNY Plattsburgh! We are excited to welcome you and we know that you and your family probably have many questions about your transition to college life. Follow the steps below to get prepared for your virtual SUNY Plattsburgh orientation experience.
Step One: Sign Up for Orientation
Step Two: Take the Placement Exams
Step Three: Learn About Course Advisement & Registration
Step Four: Meet Your Orientation Leader
Step Five: Take a Virtual Tour of Campus
Step Six: Attend a Virtual, Live Information Session
Frequently Asked Questions
from New Students & Families
Transportation & Parking
Campus Dining & Cardinal Cash
- When do we find out about our housing assignment and who our roommate is?
- How do we request a roommate, a single room/suite or a specific building?
- Will guests be allowed in the residence halls? Will I be permitted to visit friends in other residence halls?
- What rules will be in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the residence halls?
- What things are permitted in the residence hall rooms?
- When is move-in day?
- How many people are allowed to help me move in?
- Do student athletes and international students move in earlier?
- Will my roommate be moving in at the same time as I am?
- What happens if our parents already took off from work and cannot get off 8/18 and 8/19?
- Will meal services be available during Opening Week?
COVID-19 Prevention & Response
- Informational Meeting on July 23, 2 p.m.
- When will we know which of our classes are online and which are in-person?
- Will students be allowed to visit home on the weekends or visit friends on other campuses? What if they travel to a state that is on the NYS mandatory quarantine list?
- If I contract COVID-19 and must quarantine, can I return home or have my parents get me so I can be cared for by my family?
- What happens if a student is coming from another country or state that is on a mandatory quarantine list?
- Will we be able to have guests visit us? Can students living off campus hang out with on campus students in their residence hall room?
- Do we have to do a daily screening? Will all students (even without symptoms) have to be tested regularly on campus?
Financial Aid & Payment Information
- Can you answer my questions about FAFSA?
- What scholarships are offered?
- How do we make payments directly from a 529 account?
- What is happening with students that are counting on Excelsior scholarship considering that the application is not opened yet?
- We have more than one household member going to two different colleges. How does that work for financial aid?
- Do loans add directly onto the bill or is it a separate payment?
- Where can I access my awards letter?
- What are subsidized versus unsubsidized loans?
- When will I hear from the college on financial aid package offered including loan amount eligibility?
- Is there a charge for the 50/50 payment plan?
- I was awarded a work study job on my financial aid package, how do I receive it?
- When doing the Excelsior Scholarship, do they take away your TAP and Pell grant or is the scholarship money added on to your financial aid?
- Is it possible to schedule a one on one zoom meeting with a financial aid advisor to help break down the individual student’s financial aid report for the academic year?
- When is the due date to confirm enrollment?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for work study?
- Is it possible to change the awards you have accepted or are you locked into it? I don’t want to take out a loan anymore.
Please email [email protected] with any questions you may have.
If you are an international student (studying in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa like the F-1), and have additional questions then please email [email protected] for assistance.