Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program
SUNY Plattsburgh’s Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program provides tuition funding for up to six students each year who successfully demonstrate through their application that they will contribute to the diversity of the graduate student body.
THE Diversity Fellowship program APPLICATION for Fall 2022 WILL OPEN MID-NOVEMBER, 2021.
Applicants to the Diversity Fellowship Program will be asked to express, through a short essay, how they can contribute to the diversity of their respective graduate program.
Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Member of a group that is underrepresented in your field of study (e.g., male in a historically female career or female in traditionally male career, or a minority in a field of study with few minorities)
- First-generation college student
- Non-traditional student (e.g., single mother or father or older adult student)
- Person with a disability
- Coming from an economically disadvantaged background
Fellowship funds are determined by the campus and are based on annual funding available from New York state. Typically three full in-state tuition awards and three partial awards are offered each year*. Recipients receive a credit to their college account, and any funds in excess of college charges may be used for other educational expenses, including books and supplies, room, meals, personal and transportation.
*These awards are subject to changes annually based on funding levels from the State of New York.
To be eligible for a SUNY Plattsburgh Graduate Diversity Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a newly applying full-time graduate student to a master’s or certificate of advanced study degree program
- Be able to contribute to the diversity of a graduate degree program or field of study
- Have overcome a disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education
- Have high intellectual and professional promise
- Have completed a Diversity Fellowship application, as well as an application for admission for fall by February 15th
Complete the Application for Graduate Diversity Fellowship — a short online application with a 400-word or less essay.
The deadline to apply for the Diversity Fellowship for Fall 2022 is February 15th, 2022. This deadline is firm late applications will not be considered.
Selection & Notification Procedure
Selection will be made by the diversity fellowship committee and based on the eligibility requirements described above, quality of prior academic record, and financial need (as reflected in a FASFA or copy of most recent income tax statement). Announcements of awardees will take place after the February 15 deadline and after admission review committees have made their decisions about whom to accept to their academic programs.
Recent Diversity Fellowship Recipients
Read what some of our students have to say!