SUNY Plattsburgh offers graduate assistantships for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. These positions provide educational and professional value to your graduate experience while also offering tuition compensation as well as a stipend.
You must have a completed program application in order to be considered for an assistantship.
Applications will open for the Fall 2022 cycle in Mid-November, 2021.
The full list of GA positions for Fall 2022 will be posted below in early November. Please check back then!
How to Apply for Assistantships
- Part One — Complete the Part One of the application process at SUNY Plattsburgh Graduate Assistant Application to indicate which positions you would like to be considered for. Position descriptions will be posted once the applications open.
- Part Two — Complete the Human Resource Services employment application online at Graduate Assistant Application Pool. This process includes uploading a cover letter and resume. Only one cover letter can be submitted, so please speak broadly about your skills and abilities if you are applying to multiple positions.
Both parts of the application are due no later than Feb. 15th, 2022. This deadline is firm — late applications will not be considered.
Facts About Graduate Assistantships
- Graduate assistants must be full-time, matriculated students (enrolled in 12+ credit hours) at the start of the appointment period. A graduate student who withdraws or reduces enrollment from full-time to part-time status may jeopardize the stipend and tuition scholarship which affects tuition liability.
- With permission, exceptions may be granted to the full-time status requirement, allowing a graduate assistant to enroll in 9 credit hours if the assistantship is directly related to the educational program, or when the assistantship is housed within their academic department. To request a reduced course load, please complete the Graduate Assistant Reduced Course Load Request form and submit it to graduate admissions.
- Continuing students need to communicate with their supervisor about renewing their position. Assistantships may be renewed for up to two years after the initial appointment, depending on availability of the position and approval of the assistantship supervisor.
- Students must maintain good academic standing.
- Full-time graduate assistantships offer an in-state tuition scholarship and a stipend. Residence directors also receive housing and a partial meal plan.
- Typically, positions are awarded with a fall start date, and a two-semester appointment (one academic year).
- Occasionally a position may become available in the spring semester — please inquire as to the availability of these.
- Graduate assistants, in addition to their status as students, are employees of the State University of New York and are represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU). The terms and conditions of their employment are determined through collective bargaining and are enumerated in the agreement between GSEU and the State University of New York.
- Not all graduate assistantships are available every year.
- Applications are reviewed by the department offering the assistantship(s). The department will be in touch should they wish to schedule an interview.
- Assistantship opportunities are open to first time graduate students, as well as returning and continuing students.