Distinguished Service Award
Presented by the College Council
Since 1966, the College Council has recognized a person or persons who have directly or indirectly played a key role in advancing SUNY Plattsburgh This award, given at the pleasure of the College Council, was originally conceived by former College President Dr. George W. Angell.
Awardees have included:
- The Honorable Ronald B. Stafford, New York State Senator, 43rd District and Chairman, Senate Committee on Higher Education
- The Honorable Daniel P. Moynihan, U.S. Senator
- Admiral Grace M. Hopper, Ret., United States Naval Reserve, pioneer in the field of scientific computing; teacher; engineer; researcher and author
- Roger W. Tubby, former White House Press Secretary under the late President Harry S. Truman.
Individuals have been recognized for their:
- Contribution to the College community or state.
- Demonstration of leadership ability in the service of others.
Nominations If you would like to nominate someone for this prestigious award, please email [email protected]. Your email should address the person's qualifcations for the recognition.
The College Council considers selection of nominees periodically for presentation at the Spring and/or Winter Commencement ceremonies.
- Dr. E. Thomas Moran '69 G'73, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Hon. Janet Duprey, New York State Assemblywoman (Retired), 115th Assembly District.
- Ms. Cerise Oberman, SUNY Distinguished Librarian Emeritus and Dean of Library and Information Services
(Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Laurence Soroka, Associate Professor Emeritus of Expeditionary Studies, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Joseph Burke, President Emeritus, SUNY Plattsburgh; Provost Emeritus, State University of New York.
- Ms. Joan Burke, Chair, Alice T. Miner Museum Board of Directors.
- Dr. Patricia Higgins, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Emerita of Anthropology; Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ms. Cheryl M. Hogle ’68 G’72, Associate Dean of Students (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. William D. Laundry, Vice President for Student Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. David Mowry, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus of Philosophy; Director, Honors Program, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ms. Kathy MaGaw ’72, Senior Vice President for Compliance and Risk Management (Retired), Chase Manhattan Bank.
- Dr. Richard Semmler '68, Distinguished Alumni Award (1996); College Professor; Cardinal Sports Hall of Fame member; Philanthropist.
- Mr. Edward R. Brohel, Director (Retired), Plattsburgh State Art Museum.
- Dr. Celine Racine Paquette ’60, Trustee Emerita, The State University of New York.
- Mr. Roderic G. Giltz, Chair, Northern Insuring Agency.
- Dr. Robert Golden, Provost/Vice President Emeritus for Academic Affairs, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Trent Trahan ’70, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation(2003 – 2006); President/CEO of PrimeLink, Champlain Telephone Company.
- Dr. Douglas Skopp, Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Arnold A. Amell ’53, SUNY Plattsburgh College Council – Member (1989 - 2011 ); Member, Educator (Retired), Plattsburgh Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Mr. C. Thomas “Chip” Cummings ’56, Teacher/Assistant Superintendent for Business, Patchogue-Medford School District (Retired), Plattsburgh Alumni Association Board of Directors -- Member.
- Dr. John B. Clark, President, SUNY Plattsburgh (2003-2004).
- Robert Garrow '52 G'59, SUNY Plattsburgh College Council – Member (1986 - 2004); Charter member, Cardinal Sports Hall of Fame; Public School Educator and Administrator; County Legislator.
- Mr. John C. Egan, Sr., CEO and president of the Renaissance Corp.; past CEO, Albany County Airport; past commissioner, NYS Department of Transportation, NYS Office of General Services; past executive director, NYS Dormitory Authority.
- Dr. J. Richard Beach, SUNY Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Geography and Past Director of the Center for the Study of Canada, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. John “Jack” Myers, Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Donald Garrant, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Harry E. Mowry, Vice President, Harris Communications (Retired.)
- Mr. Robert T. Booth, Esq., Attorney at Law.
- Mr. Clyde A. Lewis, Esq., Attorney at Law.
- Mr. Gordie Little, News Director, WIRY Radio.
- Dr. Charles and Ms. Nancy Warren, President (Emeritus) and First Lady, SUNY Plattsburgh
- Mr. Curtis E. Shipman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Keeseville National Bank
- Hon. Madeleine M. Kunin, Governor of Vermont
- Admiral Grace M. Hopper, United States Naval Reserve (Retired); pioneer in the field of scientific computing; teacher; engineer; researcher and author.
- Mr. and Mrs. George J. Winkel, Leading Benefactors of SUNY Plattsburgh. Mr. Winkel was a retired business executive; Mrs. Winkel, an internationally renowned sculptor.
- Hon. Geraldine Ferraro, Former Congresswoman, Ninth Congressional District of New York.
- Ms. Sally Kent Gorton, Generous Benefactor to the College's Art Gallery.
- Rev. Daniel T. Keefe, Former Pastor, John XXIII College-Community Parish.
- Mr. Roger W. Tubby, Former White House Press Secretary under the late President Harry S. Truman.
- Ms. Judith L. Duken, Trustee, The State University of New York, and Former Chairperson, Plattsburgh College Council.
- Hon. Daniel P. Moynihan, U.S. Senator from New York.
- Dr. Clifton R. Wharton, Jr., Chancellor, The State University of New York.
- Hon. Warren W. Anderson, Senate Majority Leader, New York State Senate.
- Hon. Stanley Steingut, Speaker, New York State Assembly, 41st District.
- Mr. Willard C. Flynt, Dean of Students/Vice President for Student Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- E. Glenn Giltz, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation.
- Dr. Hans E. Hirsch, Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. George W. Angell, President (Emeritus), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ernest L. Boyer, Chancellor, State University of New York.
- Hon. Ronald B. Stafford, New York State Senator, 43rd District and Chairman, Senate Committee on Higher Education.
- Dr. Herman Cooper, Executive Dean for Teacher Education (Emeritus), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Fred P. Merrihew, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation.
- Hon. James A. Fitzpatrick, Chairman, New York State Power Authority.
- Dr. Earl Harlan, Professor of English, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Edward E. Redcay, Dean and Acting President (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Kenneth Burbridge, Canadian Minister of External Affairs.
- Mr. William Withall and the William H. Miner Foundation 1968.
- Hon. Emmett J. Roach, Former Chairman, College Council, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. John Scali, Foreign News Correspondent, American Broadcasting Co.
- Dr. Samuel D. Proctor, Deputy Director, Office of Economic Opportunity, Washington, DC
- Mr. James N. Rosenberg, Internationally famous Jurist and Artist.